I love Christmas. I just love it! It’s the time of year for sparkly lights, warm sweaters, pine scents, hot cocoa, Lifetime Christmas movie marathons, etc, etc. I could go on and on about all of the things this time of year means to me.
Every year about this time, I start to get the “Christmas itch”. The stores are putting out their Christmas decorations and displays, so why can’t I? I really think the only thing preventing my house from looking like Santa’s Headquarters at the North Pole right now is that it is for sale. (My husband keeps telling me that it might freak out potential buyers if they walk into a house fully decorated for December 25th when it’s only the first week of November. As if!)
So, to help scratch my Christmas itch, I’ve come up with a plan. I will ease myself into the holidays this year by giving myself a little bit at a time. The way I see it, it’s ok to put up Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving. So I’ve got 3 weeks (18 days – but who’s counting?). Here’s my strategy:
- Week 1 – Start listening to Christmas music. This will be something I can do discretely in the privacy of my car or on my iPod, so I shouldn’t get any strange looks or questions. And it will certainly give me that Christmassy feeling.
- Week 2 – Map out my holiday decorations. I’m talking full-on blue prints of my house detailing where every light and candy cane will be placed. I will start by creating a
databaselist of all my decorations. So I will be ready to place them throughout the inside (and outside) of the house.
- Week 3 – In the final stages of my plan, I will purchase any last-minute decorations that I see the need for after inspecting my list and map. I’ll do the whole “Thanksgiving” thing, and count down the hours till Friday, November 25th.
Merry Christmas, y’all!
- Some Crafty Christmas Creations (thisisthecraftyone.wordpress.com)
- Christmas Decorating is Well Underway at Blithewold! (christmasatblithewold.wordpress.com)