The news broke this weekend that Charlie Hunnam will no longer be playing Christian Grey in next year’s highly anticipated big-screen adaptation of the Fifty Shades of Grey novel by E. L. James. I have to say, I was a little thrilled by this information. I read all three books in the Fifty Shades trilogy earlier this year after putting it off for a long time, thinking it was going to be some silly erotica/romance novel that was beneath me. Boy, was I wrong. It sucked me in and I unwillingly joined the ranks of millions of
totally obsessed fans of the series.
When I heard that Charlie Hunnam had been cast to play the infamous Christian Grey, I was pretty disappointed. The anticipation of finding out who would be cast had built up so much and when they announced it, it was a pretty big let down for me. I never pictured anything like Hunnam as Grey when I was reading the books, and I know that when novels are adapted into movies they almost never cast someone you imagined…but still.
So, needless to say I am excited that there is still hope for Christian Grey, and of course I have a few suggestions of my own. Here are four fine fellas that I would not be upset about being cast as Christian in the Fifty Shades of Grey movie.
1. Henry Cavill – You know the British actor as Superman from last summer’s blockbuster Man of Steel and also from the Showtime series The Tudors. I’m not going to lie, I first pictured Christian Grey as very similar looking to Henry Cavill while reading the books. He’s definitely got the body and the looks, doesn’t he? Cavill has been a fan favorite to play Grey since it was announced that it would be made in to a movie. But with intensive filming beginning very soon on Man of Steel 2, I’m skeptical that he’ll take the role as Grey.
2. Jamie Dornan – Dornan gained popularity as Sheriff Graham / The Huntsman on Once Upon A Time, and in a much darker role as creepy killer Paul Spector on the European series, The Fall. This Irish actor certainly has shown us he can portray a dark and dangerous dude (perfect for Christian!) while looking drop dead gorgeous at the same time. I remember while watching The Fall thinking to myself, “this guy could totally be Christian Grey”. And rumor has it he is currently in talks with the movie execs for taking over Mr. Hunnam’s spot.
3. Alex Pettyfer – Best known as Adam from Magic Mike, Pettyfer is another British actor I’d like to see as Christian Grey. He’s come a long way since I Am Number Four, and I think it’s time he stepped in to a bigger acting role. I could totally see him giving a crooked smile and saying “Laters, baby”, couldn’t you??
4. Robert Pattinson – Ok, there. I said it. Yes, I’d like to see RPatz as Christian Grey. I mean come on! He’s gone to some dark, tortured places onscreen before as the oppressed and lovesick vampire in Twilight, and I’ve seen him do some more serious acting since then. He could totally pull it off! I think it would shock a lot of people to see him in such a grown-up role for a change, and probably come as a pleasant surprise. And word on the street is E. L. James wanted Pattinson originally for the film adaptation of her novel. Surely she’s got some pull!
Now I want to hear your opinion. Have you read the books? Are you interested in seeing the movie? Weigh in and let me know who you would like to see as Christian Grey in the film adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey.
- FIFTY SHADES of Huh? Who’s Christian Grey Now? (erikaerotika.wordpress.com)
- Charlie Hunnam drops out of ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ (elliesblog22.wordpress.com)
- Charlie Hunnam Leaves Fifty Shades Of Grey (popwrapped.wordpress.com)